Friday, January 1, 2010

Handcrafted Wedding Gifts


I made a lot of our gifts this holiday season. I love a handmade gift, and I hope that the people who receive my gifts feel the love and heart that goes into each handcrafted item. A store bought gift is great, as are cash and gift cards. But there is nothing better than making something special for the people I love and appreciate the most. I like to put a lot of thought into each gift, to make sure it is designed especially for them and their needs. It gives that personal touch, that something extra that says... you mean the world to me. I LOVE that!



All the cousins draw names and then buy for each other. There are 17 grandkids, which means lots of noise, chaos, love, and laughter. I wouldn't want it any other way. One of the names we got was my niece who is getting married next week. I was so excited to make her some monogrammed, personalized things for her new married life! She got a full size journal with her initial, a set of cards with her new married monogram, a mini journal for her purse, and a family name frame.



I made several of these family name frames to give. They might be my new favorite thing to make! First I cut the paper to fit inside the frame. Then I cut out their last name, the initial, and the established date out of vinyl with my cricut. I applied the vinyl directly onto the front of the glass. That way she can change out the paper to match anything or any room when she wants a change. Easy peasy. I know the paper is a little busy and distracting, but I fell in love with this Amy Butler paper set and new it was perfect for Hannah. And really...can you go wrong with anything Amy Butler puts her name on??? I think not!


When she opened the journal she was so excited she had a wedding journal. I didn't even know there was such a thing, but apparently I made her one! I also made my boys' 4 teachers each a set of journals...one full size and a mini with a coordinating print. In my haste to finish them the night before the last day of school, I forgot to take pictures. So you'll just have to take my word that they were stinkin cute! And as you can see below, I also like to paper the inside covers of the journals. Again, it adds just a little extra touch of personal. Can you tell I'm really into the small details? It's a sickness that I suffer form daily.



I almost forgot to wish everyone a happy 2010. Here's to another great year and to the beginning of a fabulous decade full of surprises and adventure!





HAPPY NEW YEAR FRIENDS!!!!



29 comments:

Paula@SweetPea said...

A handmade gift is the best kind! Your niece must have been thrilled with what you crafted for her.

leelea said...

I love it!!!!! Not too busy for me!!! Makes people look closer at your glamorous work!!! LOL Happy New Year to you also!!!!

Kathy @ Creative Home Expressions said...

I love them all, Amanda! Great idea putting the monogram on the glass so she can change out the paper. I love the journals and that you put paper on the inside cover, too. I may hold onto this idea for next year!

Jenn said...

Great ideas! Maybe next year I can crank out some of these!

Did you use the flip function on your cricut for the vinyl?

Heather Henderson said...

love it. I got a pretty patterned notebook for Christmas, but I think if I add my initial and a ribbon it will be even better - thanks for the idea!!

Amanda @ Serenity Now said...

Happy New Year. :) I had been wondering if a Cricut can cut vinyl. I have the older model though...Love the name frame.

Unknown said...

Your gifts are beautiful and I LOVE your paper selections. Thanks for sharing. :)

Meg said...

You are so crafty, I love the little notebooks and frames. Maybe one of these days when I get a free moment I will be crafty. :) Thanks for your constant inspiration.

Traci@ Beneath My Heart said...

I love these ideas!!! My niece is getting married this year and I would love to make her one of those frames. I am saving up money to get a cricut, so hopefully I can get it soon. I love the journals. How do you get the paper to stick to the journal. Do you just the paper with scissors? Is that a vinyl letter on the notebook too? If not, what did you use? Did you make the notecards? I'd like to know how to do that too. Sorry for all the questions...I just love this stuff.
Thanks,
Traci

Unknown said...

Such great presents. I love the Amy Butler paper!

Kristina P. said...

Perfect! Happy New Year, Amanda!

Jess said...

Happy New Year to you as well!
I have the same exact paper. Love it. I used it to make notebooks for the kids' teachers last year and again this year.{I covered the insides too!} They were a BIG hit. Thanks for sharing the tutorial way back when!

Richella Parham said...

Amanda, what a wonderful gift! I know she loved it.

Now I have a question for you: is a Cricut a worthwhile tool to have?

Shell in your Pocket said...

Happy New year to you!
sandy toe

Carmen @ Life with Sprinkles on Top said...

All of the gifts are beautiful. Happy New Year to you too!

More than a Mom said...

You're a creative genious! I love all of your ideas. Debating about getting the cricut myself...

Anonymous said...

how cute! I LOVE that frame!! Happy New Year!!

Unknown said...

I love this Amy Butler paper too. We're actually putting together our wedding based on the designs and colors...a lot of DIY projects to come with it.

The journal is beautiful and I love the frame idea especially how you can change out the paper behind it. Happy New Year!

Carrie @ sweet-bliss.com

Lemondrops Simple Stuff said...

What a lucky couple to have the monogrammed cupcake tower and the monogrammed wedding gifts! You did a great job on both!!!

megan said...

Happy new year!! Your gifts are beautiful. I pray that this year is full of joy and blessings for you, friend!

Love to you,
Megan

Anonymous said...

love. love. love this. can i please order a name frame for myself and my best friend that is getting married? please? cutest gift idea ever.

Pam Walter said...

Very clever ideas. I'm sure the recipients of your gifts treasure them as something unique and very special. www.satisfiedsole.com

Jen @ tatertotsandjello.com said...

Such cute gifts! I am sure your niece will think they are fabulous! Happy New Year!

XOXO
Jen

Its So Very Cheri said...

BEAUTIFUL gifts. I am sure they will be treasured.

Cheri

Lissa said...

These are beautiful! Love them. Thanks for sharing, you are so talented!
Lissa@mythriftytreasures

Amanda and William said...

I LOVE YOU AMANDA!!! I remember when I graduated 5 years ago you were cranking these babies out! I was lucky enough to get one and some darling luggage tags. Think everyone should know that you have been doing darling stuff like this for YEARS! You are so talented. Much love.

Amanda and William said...

I LOVE YOU AMANDA!!! I remember when I graduated 5 years ago you were cranking these babies out! I was lucky enough to get one and some darling luggage tags. Think everyone should know that you have been doing darling stuff like this for YEARS! You are so talented. Much love.

Nishant said...

Makes people look closer at your glamorous work!!! Happy New Year to you also!!!!

Work from home India

RomIn said...

These are wonderful ideas! Thanks to your blog, my husband agrees that I NEED a cricut!!! Thanks for all the great inspiration!

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin